Could my nose look worse after revision rhinoplasty? my surgeon did an ok job with my rhinoplasty, but it's not really how i wanted it. i'm considering a revision rhinoplasty, but i'm worried it'll make it look worse.

11 doctors weighed in across 8 answers
Dr. Thomas Lamperti answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

You : You need to find an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon who can show you before and after photos of other patients' results that you like. Using conservative techniques that maintain the structural integrity of the nose should prevent worsening your nose's appearance, but there is a lot of variability in results and experience among surgeon's so do your research. It's also important to make sure yoru surgeon unerstands what exactly you're trying to acheive with revision surgery. Preoperative digital morphing should help with this step.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Richard Arden answered

Specializes in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery

One : One of the most important aspects of rhinoplastic consultation, whether it be primary or revisional, is honest and open communication on what it is you are looking for, an understanding of what is likely to be expected and achieveable, and establishing confidence and trust with your surgeon. Oftentimes we have notions of what our nose should look like and base these expectations on magazine photos, computerized sketches, etc. Not realizing a surgeon has to work with your nose and tissues, and every rhinoplasty is individualized according to your structure and has its set of limitations. Having said that, it is certainly possible to make improvements in revisional surgery but the bar has been raised. It is important to have a surgeon with experience in revisional surgery since it is more technically difficult owing to increased scar tissue formation, oftentimes over-resection of supportive structure, etc.You may want to obtain second opinions, ask the right questions, and follow your gut instincts. You are not alone; even in beverly hills reported revisional rates are often around 15% and nobody likes to report negative results. Good-luck with your endeavors.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Benjamin Cilento answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

Hi, : Hi, the answer is...Yes... It could looks worse. With that said, the more experience a surgeon has with difficult revision rhinoplasties, the better chance you have of having an excellent outcome... Be sure to ask if your surgeon is experienced in this type of rhinoplasty and of course that they are board certified by the aafprs (american board of facial plastic and reconstructive surgery)... I have frank discussions with all my patients undergoing a revision rhinoplasty to make sure that our goals are the same... Remember to take a look at before and after pics as a way to ensure that your idea of a good cosmetic result is the same as your surgeons... Visit www.Drbencilento.Com to see some examples cheers!

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Evan Sorokin answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

All surgery has risk: Revision or secondary surgery typically carries more risk than primary surgery so make sure the surgeon you are speaking with is comfortable and has experience performing the revision. Best of luck!

Answered 10/4/2016

5.4k views

Dr. David Sherris answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

Possible: You should speak with a surgeon to go over the risks and benefits to figure out if revision rhinoplasty would help.

Answered 2/6/2013

5.3k views

Dr. Cynthia Poulos answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Revisions : The short answer is yes. Revisions can be quite challenging and benefit from experience in this type of surgery. However, "small" touch ups do not necessarily present major issues. Rhinoplasty outcomes can be very subjective. The appearance may be perfectly good, but it is not what you were envisioning. You have to think very carefully if it is worth the real possibility of a "worse" outcome.

Answered 2/9/2015

5.2k views

Dr. Zahid Niazi answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Surgery

Convey expectations: Rhinoplasty can have a 15-20% revision rate. Discuss with your plastic surgeon what the risks and benefits of revisional surgery will be and you can then make a decision appropriate for you. You have to let the surgeon know what bothers you and what your expectations are and s/he can let you know whether your expectations are realistic and achievable or not.

Answered 10/11/2013

4.8k views

Dr. Suzanne Galli answered

Specializes in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery

Revision rhinoplasty: Discuss these issues with your surgeon and be sure your surgeon is a board certified facial plastic surgeon with expertise in revision rhinoplasty.

Answered 10/17/2014

3.6k views