my son's(age 2) penis-tip looks swollen, is painful, with a little blood on his diaper---what could this be? we use cloth diapers, except at night. however, i forgot to change his cloth diaper before bed last night and he woke up crying with a very soggy

2 doctor answers
Dr. David Ewalt
37 years experience Pediatric Urology
What : What you are describing sounds like inflammation or possibly an infection of the urethral meatus or the opening of the urethra on the tip of the penis. This is usually mild and can be treated with an antibiotic ointment to the tip of the penis with each diaper change for a few days. Any over-the-counter antibiotic ointment will suffice. However, do not use an antibiotic ointment that says pain formula or has an additive to provide pain relief as this can irritate the genitalia in an infant. If you are concerned or if it does not improve i would have your child see his pediatrician.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
5
Dr. Patricio Gargollo
21 years experience Pediatric Urology
I : I assume that he is circumcised? Circumcised boys can get an inflammation on the tip of their penis. It's called meatitis ( the "meatus" is the hole where the urine comes out). This should get better in a few days. You can give him some tylenol (acetaminophen) for discomfort and putting a little vaseline on the tip of his penis may help the discomfort from the diaper. See your pediatrician if not better in the next 72 hours.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
2