when to start birth control i went to the docctor today and the gave me birth control. on the pack it say to start either the first day of my period or the sunday after i start. but im on my period now does that mean i start it this sunday or do i have to

Dr. Laura McMullen
20 years experience Pediatrics
You : You can start your birth control pills anytime you'd like. If you start them during the first 5 days of your period, you are protected against pregnancy immediately. If you start them at any other time of the month, you need to use a back-up method of contraception (like a condom) for the first 7 days you are on the pill. The "sunday start" is just for convenience, but you can start them any day of the week. Good luck!
Answered on Oct 3, 2016