i have been told i need surgery as my ear canals are closing. is this necessary? i went deaf in my left ear. my gp sent me to a e.n.t specialist and then he sent me to an ear specialist. they all suggested i have surgery as my ear canals are so minute.

Dr. Michael Wolfe
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 23 years experience
Is : Is this a progressive problem, meaning is the size of your canals getting smaller? There are some inflammatory disorders that can cause progressive narrowing of the canal. You have to treat the disorder to prevent any further stenosis. If the narrowing is causing problems (obstruction so that was cannot get out, hearing loss), then surgery is an option--usually removing the skin in the narrow area and covering with skin grafts.
Dr. Ronald Ward
Specializes in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Ear canals closing?: Could have ear canal osteomas. Usually chronic recurring cold water exposure, i.e. surfing. generally speaking, the ear canal can only needs to be 2-3 mm patent to have "normal" hearing. providing that this is the only issue. Some adults retain the size of the ear canals which were present in childhood. if have small ear canals. do not use q-tips. may need to have canals cleaned by ENT every 4-6 m

Last updated Jan 17, 2019