Is tamoxifen safe and can I take it? I am a 67-year-old white female living alone. Last year i had early catch stage-1 breast cancer. I next had a lumpectomy and only one treatment of chemotherapy. I was scheduled for four treatments. The side affects

Dr. Amer Alame
12 years experience in Colon and Rectal Surgery
If : If your breast cancer was estrogen receptor-negative then you will not benefit from hormonal adjuvant therapy like tamoxifen (actually women who are past their menopause should be on Arimidex (anastrozole) not tamoxifen) either way you will not benefit from those since your mass is estrogen receptor negative. At 67 you should probably still get radiation as you still have a long life ahead of you...Especially with stage 1 cancer. You have to discuss these options with a breast surgeon...
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
2