U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 22-year-old female asked:

What can i do about my heavy cycle? i am 22 years old and having serious problems. my period is terrible. since november 8, 2011 i have been bleeding on and off. i can tell when it is my "actual period" because it is much heavier than the other days. the

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engravanswered
Emergency Medicine 32 years experience
I : I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. There are other medications that could safely control your heavy bleeding, even though you had a pulmonary embolism. You could safely go on the Progesterone only pill. Or, you could have a Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud placed. Cramping and bleeding will usually stop completely about two months after the Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud. I hope this helps you.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.