U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 29-year-old female asked:

What should i do about my belly pain? i could feel a lump in my stomach just to the right below my belly button. i can no longer feel it and i have this horrible stomach pain in that area. it was just to the touch before , but now it is constant. my bl

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Cheryl Winchell
Family Medicine 53 years experience
You : You are describing pain where people with appendicitis localize their symptoms. If you were seen early on in the process, a ct and blood count could both miss the diagnosis. Since you posted your question 3 days ago, i assume things have gotten worse if you have appendicitis. Sometimes the appendix is located posteriorly behind the cecum and a ruptured appendix seals off creating an abscess. Patients with retrocecal appendicitis are often difficult to diagnose and the diagnosis is missed on the initial evaluation. If you are still having pain, you need to be re-evaluated. If examination is suggestive of a surgical abdomen, you should have exploratory surgery regardless of the ct results. Physicians have become too dependent on imaging results and surgeons may wait too long to go in, resulting in a more complicated post surgical course and more morbidity.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.