Consistent bad breath i brush my teeth probably more than most people. i clean my tongue, i floss, i have used sevral types of toothpaste and mouthwashes and yet i still have bad breath. it's been with me for as long as i can remember and it hinders my li

Dr. Evan Berson
Specializes in Dentistry
It : It is said that about 90% of bad breath comes from either broken down old silver fillings, washed out bonded fillings, loose crowns or bridges which are seeping out a cement smell, or periodontal disease. If all these areas check out as negative then i would suggest you check next with your general doctor who migh refer you to a GI specialist. The odor may be systemic. As for recommended mouth washes, we have had great resuslt with cloysis, a chlorine dioxide mouth rinse found either online or in health stores. http://www.closys.com/index.html.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Cosmetic Dentistry 51 years experience
I : I think that the other doctors have given you many of the possibilities that could be causing your problem, and truly the only way to know what is causing your breath issue is through proper professional evaluation. If you eliminate the possibility that there is an underlying medical or dental problem then i suggest a mouthwash that I have found to work better than anything else even in difficult cases. It is called "smart mouth" by trident inc. And it is non-alcoholic. It is a two part system and is based on a zinc ion formula. My patients have found it to be very effective. It's certainly worth a try. Good luck!
Dr. Jean Edderai
Cosmetic Dentistry 37 years experience
Your : Your description gives hints to systemic gastric problem i would recommend to visit your general physician for a blood work up to determine your level of sugar, for diabetis.. This condition produces high concentrations of acids translated into halitosis, once corrected the bad breath will be eliminated. Good luck!
Dr. Lois A Freisleben-Cook
Helcobacter pylori is notorious for causing bad breath
Oct 25, 2014
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 38 years experience
Evaluations: You have great oral care habits but you did not say if you had seen a dentist recently. If you have not had regular dental care it is time to see a dentist for an exam and teeth cleaning. If dentally you are healthy then see md about medical conditions that can cause breath odors. Some of these are acid reflux and other GI conditions, sinus and post nasal drip, diabetes, and others. Good luck.
Dr. Lois A Freisleben-Cook
Oct 25, 2014
Last updated Dec 24, 2022