what happens if i stop my botox treatments? i've really been thinking about starting botox treatments, but am a little worried about what happens if i stop. will the lines on my face look way worse then before, or will they go back to the way they were?

9 doctor answers
Dr. Michael Edwards
36 years experience Plastic Surgery
Current : Current data shows that once you stop treatment with botox, your facial muscles will essentially not change other that to continue to function the way they did before having Botox treatments. We are often asked if over time the need for Botox treatments will be less and less. So far this has not been found to be true. I hope this helps dr edwards.
Answered on Dec 12, 2018
2
Dr. Joseph Mele
31 years experience Plastic Surgery
Botox, : Botox, Dysport and xeomin (incobotulinumtoxin a) causes temporary weakness of the facial muscles that cause wrinkles. By inhibiting the muscles from folding the skin, the skin has a chance to heal, and the wrinkles fade. The effects last several months, but eventually the effect wears off. Once the inhibition is gone, the muscle starts working again, and you will earn your wrinkles back. Some people will earn the same wrinkles back quickly, for others it may take years to reestablish deeper lines. If you have been using Botox for many years, you will likely achieve deeper wrinkles when you stop, than you had many years ago. It's not magic, but it is very effective, and completely reversible.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Jeffrey Kyllo
39 years experience Plastic Surgery
I : I am often asked this question. As near as anyone can tell, nothing bad happens if you use Botox for awhile and then stop. Some people think that if you use Botox for a period of time, say, a couple of years, your requirements for it will decrease because the muscles being treated will atrophy from disuse. Over time they will build back up. I don't think anyone knows if wrinkles will come back the same, less, or worse. I think it is dependent on how bad they were prior to treatment.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
3
Dr. David Mobley
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
Botox : Botox is a highly effective way to reduce wrinkles around the eyes. It works best for the forehead wrinkles, crows-feet and vertical wrinkles between the eyebrows (sometimes called the number 11). It temporarily blocks the transmission of signals by the nerves that flex the tiny muscles just in the area close to where it is injected. It will reduce the movement and therefor the wrinkles for about 3.5 to 4 months. As a surgeon, I am mot usually a big fan of temporary improvements, but Botox and the competing Dysport work so well it is easy to like them. The hardest part of stopping is that your wrinkles come back. They are no worse than they would have been had you never received botox, but they may bother you more for a while. Once you get used to looking more refreshed, youthful and rested, it is hard to go back to having wrinkles. But rest assured, it does not make them worse if you stop.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
3
Dr. Qamar Khan
16 years experience Pain Management
Generally: goes back to what they looked like.
Answered on Jul 16, 2014
Dr. Daniel Lebowitz
23 years experience Anti-Aging Medicine
They will go back: to the way they were before.
Answered on Jul 28, 2014
Dr. Suzanne Galli
23 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Botox: if you stop your treatments, the lines will return. The effect is only temporary
Answered on Dec 1, 2014
Dr. Larry Nichter
35 years experience Cosmetic Surgery
Stopping Botox: Botox and similar drugs are only temporary. Your lines will come back after stopping treatment but should not be worse
Answered on Sep 29, 2016
1
Dr. Jennifer Tighe De Soto
14 years experience Cosmetic Surgery
Not any worse: Botox works by limiting the movements that cause wrinkles. When you first use it you will notice an improvement in the lines after about a week. If you do not repeat it, the lines will gradually come back around 3-5 months after the injection. If you never repeat it your lines will eventually go back to the way they are now. http://www.omahacosmeticsurgery.com/non-surgical-procedures/botox/
Answered on Apr 23, 2016