i have urine like diarrhea for almost three days. what should i do. and what foods should i be eating and staying away from caught a 24hr bug from a child. its now spread like wildfire in the home. i've had a temperature for a day which is gone. urine lik

24 years experience Psychiatry
Hi. : Hi. I cannot diagnose your symptoms. I would like to start with looking for clarification, as your first sentence can be interpreted more than one way. If your urine is much like diarrhea would be, than you absolutely need to get seen by a doctor right away. I think however, that what you were describing was diarrhea that has the consistency of urine. There is a lot of viral gastroenteritis going around right now. If the bug going around in jamaica, ny is much like the one circulating in newport, ri - it is a really nasty one. It is a good sign that your fever has resolved. Viral gastroenteritis causes the peristalsis (motility) of the GI tract to increase. Digested materials are pushed through your large intestine so quickly, that fluids are not reabsorbed from the feces as they normally would be. The spasm of the smooth muscles in your gut can cause pain. If your symptoms do not resolve in a couple more days then you could have a bacterial infection, parasite or a disease of the gut. It is likely however, to be the bug that you suspected you caught from a child. Work hard on staying hydrated. Water is very important, even if you can only tolerate sipping it. Stay away from acidic beverages and caffiene. Clear beverages may be helpful for 12 to 24 hours. When you add in solids, avoid things like meats, dairy products and fibrous vegetables as well as spicy or highly fatty foods. One of the dangers of severe diarrhea is dehydration. If you try to stay up on fluids but you end up with a really fast heart beat, you feel dizzy (especially if it worse when getting up); you may be dehydrated. In that case, you may need a trip to the emergency room for intravenous hydration. I hope you feel better soon.
Answered on Mar 22, 2018
2