What could be causing a tendons in my neck to protrude causing pain and tightness in my face? my neck and face are sensitive to touch too

Dr. John Moorhead
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 36 years experience
The : The most common causes of this are muscle strain and stress. Emotional stress can cause people to unconsciously maintain muscle tension in their jaw and neck muscles, leading to tenderness along the side of the face and neck. It can also lead to bruxism, or teeth clenching, which increases tension in these areas. Sometimes over-exercise can cause strain as well. Problems with posture or sleeping positions can also lead to muscle tension. Finally, abnormalities in the spine can lead to pinched nerves which can cause muscle tightness and spasm as well.
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology 30 years experience
Irritated Nerve: Some nerves in the face and neck can become irritated or pinched as the come out of the brain. These nerves include the trigeminal and facial nerve. This would produce symptoms similar to those you describe. I would suggest talking to a neurosurgeon to see if this can be helped by medications, injections or perhaps surgery.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat commented
Podiatry 22 years experience
Good answer!
Mar 30, 2013

Last updated Jul 2, 2018