Selsun blue for my baby's fungus? my husband took our 6 mo old baby to the pediatrician and didn't get a lot of details...i know the md said the flaky scalp & some dryish looking spots on his body are fungus (didn't say what kind). he recommended selsun b

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Joy Jackson answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

The pediatrician is referring to a condition called seborrheic dermatitis. It presents as flaky scalp (appears like dandruff) and dry patches on the skin. The cause is unclear. Some doctors believe it is due to a rare yeast. Treatment includes shampoos selsun blue. I usuallly tell parents to use a very small amount 2-3 times per week until they see an improvement. Also, brush your baby's scalp with a soft brush to loosen the flakes. If the selsun blue does not work ask your doctor for an alternative treatment. To answer the last part of your question, no you dont have to let it sit on the skin or scalp, just wash in usual fashion; lotion is fine. If the spots look more red after use and it persists then discontinue and consult your doctor. If it returns to previous state then no need to worry. Take care.

Answered Jul 13, 2018

5.3k views