I have acute sinusitis, the dr prescribed augmentin and i took 5 pills, i am allergic to it how long will it remain in my system i am severely sick, dizzy vomiting, lethargic, nausea. i just want to know how long until i may start feeling better. i quit t

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Joy Jackson answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) should be cleared from your system about 6 to 12 hours after taking it. I am concerned that your symptoms may have been from something other than an Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) allergy; which is usually characterized by a rash, hives, or in more severe cases shortness of breath. Dizziness, vomiting, lethargy, and nausea sound more like a gastroenteritis or stomach flu. If you are not better by now, you should visit your primary care provider for a follow up visit. Take care.

Answered Aug 8, 2018

5.3k views

Dr. Stephen Christensen answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

I'm sorry you don't feel well. Your symptoms are not uncommon for someone who's been taking a broad-spectrum antibiotic. These medications not only eradicate the bacteria that are causing your sinusitis; they also eliminate "friendly" bacteria, such as those that live in your gastrointestinal tract. This is a principal cause for the diarrhea frequently associated with Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) and other antibiotics. Since this is not a true allergy, it could take several days for the diarrhea to finally resolve. Taking a probiotic for a couple of weeks will help to reestablish a healthier population of bacteria in your gut. Most of the other unpleasant side effects of Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) -- the dizziness and nausea, for example -- should settle down within two to three days of stopping the medication.

Answered Jul 31, 2018

5.5k views