A male asked:

i gave birth on january 23rd. i had a c-section and received an epidural. my thighs down to my feet are swollen. is that common is swellling a side effect of an epidural

Dr. Steven Guyton
Thoracic Surgery 46 years experience
Swelling : Swelling is not a side effect of an epidural. I would be concerned that you may have blood clots obstructing the veins in your thighs or up in your pelvis. Be sure to get that checked out. A doppler study of the veins in your legs may indicate obstruction of the blood flow out of your legs.
Dr. Julian Goldman
Anesthesiology 36 years experience
Not epidural: The swelling that you described is almost certainly not from the epidural. You should see your OB for a physical exam as the next step to diagnosis the problem.
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology 29 years experience
During and after : Labor, because of fluid administration, it is normal to have swelling of your body. The fluid is quickly mobilized and, therefore, goes away in a couple of days. To be swollen a month later suggests a different cause. You should be evaluated soon for venous blood clots, amon other things.
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Anesthesiology 39 years experience
the epidural should be well-worn off as well as any effect from the dilatation of blood vessels that could cause some swelling. for whatever reason your body is not absorbing fluid from your lower extremities and there are several reasons for this. i would see your Ob or your family doctor if it does not improve.
Feb 24, 2013

Last updated Oct 3, 2016