should i go to the doctors for a blood test for pregnancy? i have had my mirena iud for almost a year and a half. i haven't had my period since 2 months after my insertion. recently i have been getting heavy cramping(no blood) and extreme pregnancy sympto

2 doctor answers
Dr. Laura McMullen
20 years experience Pediatrics
An : An iud by itself gives you a less than 1% of getting pregnant - it's 99% effective. If you are concerned about pregnancy, you can either take a home pregnancy test or go to your doctor for one just to put your mind at ease. The symptoms of pregnancy can be very vague and are easily attributed to other illnesses. If you have not been feeling well, it might be worth visiting your doctor for an exam. Good luck!
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
24 years experience Psychiatry
HPT: The failure rate with Mirena is about 0.2 per 100. REF: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2008/021225s019lbl.pdf. You can take a home pregnancy test to confirm that you are not pregnant.
Answered on Jul 25, 2019