A male asked:

if i have a scaphoid fracture that has gone untreated for more than 6 months, will that show up on an x-ray? i had an injury on my hand last summer, initial x-ray and mri showed nothing other than sprained scapholunate ligament with post-traumatic synovit

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 35 years experience
An : An xray likely would show a fracture if it occurred 6 months ago and did not heal. However an MRI would likely have also showed a fracture at the time of injury, so a negative MRI 6 months ago means you likely did not have a fracture. A sprained scapholunate ligament could lead to problems that can have pain as a later finding. Pain at the base of the thumb may be to another issue that is not related to the scaphoid or the ligmanets that surround it. A common cause for pain a the base of the thumb is midd arthritis. If you ask your doctor i'm sure they would repeat an x-ray, but finding a fracture would be very unusual at this time given the history is correct.
Dr. Andrew Gutow
Hand Surgery 31 years experience
Scaphoid fracture: If you had a scaphoid fracture which was initially not diagnosed and it has not healed ( a scaphoid nonunion ), this will show up on regular x-rays 6 months after the injury. Possible causes of continued pain after a wrist injury without a fracture can be an unhealed ligament sprain or tear, a joint capsule sprain or cartilage injury. A clinical examination and perhaps an MRI can help diagnose.
Dr. Tariq Niazi
Dr. Tariq Niazi commented
Orthopedic Surgery 43 years experience
See a local ORS or a hand surgeon to be examined, investigated and treated. Generally the pain can be dealt with with surgery.
Dec 12, 2013