i am planning to get pregnant soon but problem is i had a tummy tuck 2 years ago i wanted to know if its harmful to the baby if i was to wear a girdle most of my pregnancy? i know it sounds vain but im scared to gain too much weight and let my stomach str

Dr. Scott Musinski
Wearing : Wearing a girdle is unlikely to hurt the baby. It is also unlikely to limit weight gain. Stretch marks have a genetic component (if your mother had them then you are at risk) but some women can limit or prevent stretchmarks with the application of cocoa butter. Most tummy tucks (witch hazel) include fascial plication (tightening of the muscles) this usually has the effect of keeping the abdomen flatter even during pregnancy.
Dr. Joseph Minniti
Plastic Surgery 28 years experience
Girdle not harmful: Although wearing a girdle is not harmful to the fetus, it is completely unnecessary, as it will do nothing to prevent the potential stretching of your skin. Many of my patients who had children after a tummy tuck did very well, but some needed a smaller revision surgery after the pregnancy. The most effective way of limiting stretch is to limit your weight gain to 20-25 pounds.
Dr. Joseph Mele
Plastic Surgery 32 years experience
If a girdle worked..: I wouldn't do so many tummy tucks (witch hazel). The best way to reduce the chances of needing a second tummy tuck is to be in shape before pregnancy; maintain a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy, and get back to working out afterwards. Avoid excess weight gain. If your belly still gets stretched out, you have minimized the damage, and can have it fixed again safely.
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Plastic Surgery 30 years experience
No girdle: You need to let the baby grow normally without external pressure with a girdle. You cannot prevent stretch marks with a girdle. Let's have the baby see how the belly does after. You can see your surgeon again if you are not happy with they it looks then.
Dr. Tom Pousti
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
Ask Obgyn: Best to run this question by your ob/gyn. Personally, I do not think that the use of a girdle will necessarily prevent you from “gaining too much weightduring pregnancy. Maintaining a healthy weight, under the supervision of your ob/gyn, will be important for many reasons ( including minimizing the chances that additional surgery will be necessary after delivery).
Dr. Otto Placik
Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
Maintain weight: Watching your weight under the supervision of your gynecologist or nutritionist is a better way of controlling your weight during pregnancy, stretch marks cannot always be prevented and occur in very this individuals unrelated to weight and more likely associated with hormonal changes in a predisposed individual. It is likely that your muscles will separate regardless of girdle or weight gain.
Dr. Linda Kondilis
Clinical Psychology 9 years experience
Preg Body Image: I would recommend addressing some of your body image fears before you get pregnant. Reach out to a therapist who specializes and enjoys working in women's health. Setting up a support network before pregnancy is helpful.

Last updated Aug 26, 2017