i get a bubble on my eyeball after a sever allergy attack. is this a normal reaction? i'm allergic to cat dander and when i'm exposed to them my eyes get itchy and watery. however over the past year i've noticed a bubble of fluid on my left eyeball while

Dr. Marvin Den
This : This is likely related to your allergy. As the others have noted would not do anything to the "bubble" as you may cause problems. Would see an opthalmologist, not an optometrist, as already mentioned. Would get eye drops like Patanol (olopatadine) or Pataday or an antihistamine eye drop from an allergist or the eye md.
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
This : This type of swelling occurs in the clear covering over the white part of the eye. This clear layer is called the conjunctiva, and it has cells that produce tears, mucous and oils to keep the surface of the eye moist when these cells get over-stimulated, they can over-produce fluids, and this fluid can get trapped between the conjunctiva and the sclera (the white layer), so a bubble forms. Usually, this bubble will go away as you get better, but if it is irritating, or if it lasts longer, you should see an ophthalmologist (optometrists are not medical doctors, and most cannot prescribe medications) who can prescribe an anti-allergy drop such as patanol, Pataday or bepreve (bepotastine besilate). I often find that this is not sufficient, and a short course of steroid eye drops works better. These must be used with care, under the guidance of your doctor. One last note, please don't press on that bubble, or put anything else in your eye! this can make it more irritated, or cause other problems.
Dr. Tal Dagan
Dr. Tal Dagan answered
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 24 years experience
The : The white part of the eye surrounding the curves is called the conjunctiva. This outer lining of the eye may uncommonly swell during an allergic reaction similarly to skin or mucosal lining swelling that occurs as a result of allergic reactions. The release of histamine by may cells that are involved in allergic reactions causes the itching and swelling that you experience including in the conjunctive. The treatment for eye symptoms including itchy, watery or swelling is with an anti histamine eye drop such as Patanol (olopatadine) or pataday, ask your doctor for a prescription.

Last updated Feb 9, 2021