i recently had a physical and drug screen for a job i am accepting. my blood pressure was 126/89. i was very nervous about this drug test and physical, i am really wanting this job. i know i will pass the drug test, but it was a situation i hadn't been

2 doctor answers
Dr. Steven Seres
I : I would suggest you use this information as data only, and not get too concerned. Your stated vitals suggest you are a very low-risk candidate for cardiovascular disease, meaning that your goal BP should be 135/85 or less at *rest* -- as in, not when you're at a new doctor's office, getting a drug test and physical for a new job. If your pressure didn't go up when you stand up or are active, your brain and muscles wouldn't get the oxygen they need and you'd get dizzy, maybe even pass out. Blood pressure changes almost from second to second! we only see the one set of numbers the standard cuff can read, so it's hard to remember just how much it bounces around. I usually recommend that my patients track their own blood pressure either at a grocery store pharmacy, their local fire house (or get your own cuff) and test at *random* times, maybe 2-3 times in a week and see what your average numbers look like. It'd be a good idea to establish your own pcp if you can so you can discuss a plan for following this as time goes by since things can change. However, from what you've presented here, it's unlikely you have a blood pressure problem at this time. Good luck with the new job!
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
What is your ?: The blood pressure is borderline, which may well have related to your anxiety at the time. I would recommend having your doctor repeat your blood pressure (in the right arm while sitting, btw) another time. If it continues to be in that range, you should consider weight loss, salt reduction, stopping smoking if you smoke and an exercise program, then recheck the BP again.
Answered on Jun 10, 2014