is it safe to take fluoride while pregnant or breastfeeding?

5 doctor answers
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
29 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
Yes: Stick to community-based fluoridated water or Fluoride toothpaste. I do not believe you have to do more than these options. Furthermore, these two options have been shown to decrease tooth decay.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
Dr. Media Najafi
21 years experience Dentistry
I say NO: It is my personal opinion to not take any supplements that are not cruicial for the baby's development. Studies on Fluoride for children show the benefits of Fluoride but measuring the benefits of Fluoride for a baby in the womb is more questionable and more risky. Personally i wouldn't take Fluoride during pregnancy but am open to look at any studies arguing otherwise. I wouldn't take it.
Answered on Jun 25, 2014
Dr. James Beck
10 years experience Dentistry
Yes: Yes, the Fluoride you get from toothpaste and fluoridated water is very safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding. You do not need to take any additional Fluoride during your pregnancy or while breast feeding. The Fluoride you get in water and toothpaste is plenty.
Answered on Apr 16, 2016
1
Dr. Howard Schneider
33 years experience Pediatric Dentistry
Yes: Yes it is safe to drink water with Fluoride in it and to use toothpaste and other topical Fluoride products like mouthwash while pregnant and/or breast feeding.
Answered on Jun 25, 2014
Dr. Arnold Malerman
52 years experience Orthodontics
Yes: Fluoridated drinking water and Fluoride toothpastes are controlled at a a safe level. Less controllable are Fluoride supplements. Your child's permanent teeth begin forming in utero, so measured amount of Fluoride is helpful. Talk to your ob/gyn and your dentist about Fluoride levels in your communities water.
Answered on Jun 25, 2014