A male asked:

is vision correction possible with implanted lenses that can reshape my corneas? i've read that there's now a vision correction surgery that can fix my extreme myopia by implanting a lens. how would this new lense compensate for my nearsightedness? what a

Dr. Jeffrey Whitman
Ophthalmology 45 years experience
ICL : Icl surgery is superb for correcting nearsightedness without resorting to lasik surgery. There is no reshaping of the cornea as with laser surgery and the lens can be removed if there are significant changes in your vision in the future allowing for another type of treatment. It is a great treatment particularly for those who are too nearsightedness for lasik treatment.
Dr. Jay Bradley
LASIK Surgery 18 years experience
The : The vision correction surgery which you heard about is called the visian implantable contact lens (icl). For patients with extreme myopia outside the treatment range available with laser vision correction, this is an option. The lens implant is placed between your crystalline lens and the iris so it can not be seen after the procedure. The procedure is safe but does have the similar risks as other intraocular surgery (infection, retinal detachment, cataract). For more information, visit their website: http://www.Staar.Com/html/visian-icl.Html.
Dr. John Kim
Dr. John Kim answered
Ophthalmology 22 years experience
The : The simple answer is no. There is no implantable lense that will rehape your cornea that exist in usa. There are experimental trial of implanting a lens in the cornea but not available yet. However there exist implantable lens that is put "inside" the eye for patients who are highly myopic.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016