Will being color blind affect my chances to get into nasa? i've wanted to be a nasa astronaut for as long as i can remember, but i recently was diagnosed with color blindness. will this affect my eligibility for nasa?

Dr. Gerald Saboe
Occupational Medicine 45 years experience
Having : Having a red-green or blue-yellow color vision deficiency is medically disqualifying in accordance with nasa astronaut medical standards.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology 30 years experience
Yes: Astronauts are expected to have 20/20 vision with perfect color vision. There are many other ways to serve nasa other than being the astronaut that pilots the spacecraft.
Dr. Charles Davant
I'm not sure. I'm an AME and even 767 pilots are not require to have intact color vision. And not all astronauts pilot the spacecraft, anyway. Wait a minute, we no longer have spacecraft for you to fly, anyway. Bet you can spend a few months on the Space Station with bad eyes if you can pay for it.
Aug 27, 2013
Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology 30 years experience
Provided original answer
Thank you for your thought and informative comment. As far as I understand, following the rules, the AME is still required by the FAA to prohibit anyone failing a color vision test from flying at night or by reference to light-gun signals. NASA is not the FAA, but astronauts do have to function "at night" and in dark conditions. Can you please provide a link to your new NASA information that allows color blind applicants to enter astronaut training? I haven't certified anyone's color vision for initial screening for NASA in the past two years, and I would appreciate the benefit of your updated knowledge. By the way, NASA repeats the testing, so any thought of fudging the test the way some civilian AMEs do is out of the question.
Aug 27, 2013
Last updated Jan 10, 2020