I took .5 mg of xanax at 11:30pm and but still feel some anxiety can i take .5 mg of clonazepam to get some sleep i was just diganosed with panic and anxiety about two days ago and still feel the anxiety kicking in and i am not able to get some sleep is i

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engravanswered
Emergency Medicine 32 years experience
No, : No, i would not recommend that. Medications such as benzodiazepines can decrease your respiratory rate so that you don't breathe as well. Taking two different ones together, or even taking more than prescribed, could cause serious or even fatal consequences. I do want you to know that both of these medications are highly addictive. There are non-addictive alternatives for panic and anxiety that will not affect your respiratory drive. Please consider asking your physician about these alternatives.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine 50 years experience
I wouldn't: Using 2 different versions of the same kind of medicine (alprazalam and clonazepam) doesn't really make any sense, and Klonopin takes almost 2 hours to have its full effect. Xanax (alprazolam) is very short-acting and isn't the best sleep aide in the world. There are also non-drug methods of dealing with anxiety. Talk to your doctor about a better sleep medication, if 0.5 doesn't work, using 1 mg would be next.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016