A male asked:

Thyroid ablation july 22nd. vacation aug 1st. is my 14 month old niece in danger being around me? no further detail

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine 53 years experience
Probably not.: I131 used for ablation of the thyroid gland has half life of 8 days.It is usually recomended that treated patients stay away from growing children for 7-8 days.. The iodine that is in other tissues of the body has been flushed out by kidneys, salivation and sweating.Remaining radiactivity is in the thyroid gland. Distance and time are important. The less time & moe than 4ft away reduce exposure
Last updated Mar 1, 2017