I need information on primary biliary cirrhosis i am a 69 year female was diagnosed in 2010. what is the best test to confirm the disease. and where would be the best place for a second opinion? what should i look for as signs of progessing in the dise

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Kathirae Severson answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Primary biliary cirrosis is an autoimmune liver disease that occurs predominantly in women between the ages of 30 to 65. The hallmark of the disease is fatigue, itching, and right upper quadrant pain. Elevated elevated alkaline phosphatase levels, elevated igm levels, positive antimitochondrial antibodies in conjunction with a liver biopsy confirms the diagnosis. Hepatologist are gastroenterologist that specialize in diseases of the liver and can confirm the diagnosis. Emory hospital and piedmont hospital have physicians that specialize in the diseases of the liver. Worsening itching, bone pain, changes in skin color and worsening fatigue could be indications of progression.

Answered Oct 3, 2016

5.4k views