ever since i have been on a diet, i have had problems with bowel movements. is it safe to take laxatives once a week? also, my husband has kidney failure. he is doing peritoneal dialysis at home. how long can he live on dialysis before he has to have a

Dr. Jeffrey Duman
Gastroenterology 20 years experience
Weight : Weight loss and new onset of constipation are possibly the result of dietary changes, however excluding problems in your colon is important. If you have undergone a recent colonoscopy then occasional laxative use is ok. I am not a dialysis expert therefore cannot answer that question to your satisfaction.
Dr. Alok Agrawal
Nephrology and Dialysis 34 years experience
See below: Make sure you are getting enough fiber and drinking enough fluids. He should get on transplant list at the earliest. If he can get kidney from a living donor, even better.
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
Two questions: Laxatives should be last resort. Be sure you have at least 25 grams of fiber per day in your diet. Include prunes, apples, oatmeal, bran. Peritoneal dialysis is effective. Some folks have lived 10-15 years with dialysis before requiring a transplant.