can i go to a party after my colonoscopy? my procedure’s on friday morning and i want to go to a party that night. is it safe for me to go? can i drink?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Matthew Bressie
Thanks : Thanks for your question. Generally we advise patients not to drive or operate any heavy machinery until the following day after a colonoscopy, because the medicines used to sedate you can cause cloudy thinking and altered judgment. There is no medical reason you couldn't go to a party if you are feeling up to it, but i would strongly suggest you go with a trusted friend who can drive you and stay with that friend for the duration of the party. Let him/her know that your judgment may be impaired so he/she can "look out" for you. I would suggest not drinking alcohol that night. I hope this answers your question. Good luck!
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
1
Dr. Travis Kidner
16 years experience Surgical Oncology
Take it easy: I would plan to take it easy after your procedure. Most people are a little groggy after the sedation. You will also be dehydrated from fluid losses so drinking might not be the best idea.
Answered on Mar 17, 2015