U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 41-year-old member asked:

What type of doctor best treats an adult patient with moderate cerebral palsy?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Eric Levey
Pediatrics 30 years experience
Rehab physician: Depends on the problem, but for overall cp-related care i would recommend a specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation (pm&r). For seizures, a neurologist; for constipation and gerd, gi. For scoliosis or hip pain, orthopedics.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Keith Baldwin
Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery 17 years experience
Rehab doctors often act as the quarterback for the care of these complex patients
Mar 2, 2013
Dr. George Gantsoudes
Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery 19 years experience
It depends: I am a pediatric orthopaedist, but still see adults with cp, as I have more experience with the usual issues than my adult colleagues do. If it is for arthritis or similar issues, an adult reconstruction specialist can help. I would call a pediatric orthopaedist in the area and ask them. If you are asking about general health issues, any primary care physician is well qualified.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.