I was referred to an oral surgeon, does that mean that he will operate on me tomorrow for my wisdom teeth?

Dr. James Donley
Dentistry 54 years experience
Maybe: It will vary with the oral surgeon and the referral that your general dentist made. Often times the first appointment is for a consultation. X-rays may be taken, if your dentist did not send what was needed. Sometimes a general anesthetic is needed and this is usually discussed ahead of time.
Dr. Charles Lockhart
Dentistry 9 years experience
Depends: Only if he has all necessary health information, xrays, and has consulted with you regarding local or general anesthesia, and if you have someone who can drive you home if you do have general anesthesia. Most in the evanston area would prefer to see the situation first and inform you of the necessary procedure and what the cost estimate would be plus how you could expect to heal.
Dr. Michael Geylikman
Dentistry 19 years experience
Not necessarily: After careful examination the oral surgeon may or may not offer you to extract the wisdom teeth the same day. It depends how easy or difficult the extractions may be and whether he has an available time slot to perform procedure.
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Prosthodontics 19 years experience
Possibly: The question really depends on whether or not you're in pain or there is some sever infection present. If either of these two are present, it is possible that the surgeon may in fact remove the teeth at that time. However, if you're not in pain or infected, they will likely perform a consult to go over the procedure, answer questions, etc. Before the scheduled surgery. Keep smiling !