Is it okay for teenagers to get liposuction?

13 doctors weighed in across 7 answers
Dr. Robert Peppercorn answered

Specializes in Dermatology

Liposuction: Ok but best to try exercise and weight loss first. Should wait until all normal growing is done.

Answered 4/20/2013

5.5k views

Dr. Jason Lichten answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Not a substitute: Liposuction is effective in treating areas of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise not a substitute for healthy eating habits and lifestyle. Make sure you seek the opinion of a board certified plastic surgeon if you are considering liposuction. For teenagers, a healthy diet and lifestyle are much better places to star.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.5k views

Dr. Leonard Grossman answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Yes, but: I think I have answered this question many times before. If a mature teenager observes an area of their body being out of proportion and this part of the body has been this way since birth, not responding to diet and or exercise, then liposuction with parental consent is definitely a good option with the plastic surgeon's approval. Good luck from nyc.

Answered 11/26/2012

5.5k views

Dr. Tom Pousti answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Possibly.: Whether or not you are a good candidate for liposuction surgery will depend on your physical examination and your goals. Generally speaking, the “ideal” candidate for liposuction surgery is a healthy person with localized diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue with good quality overlying skin elasticity.

Answered 9/25/2014

5.2k views

Dr. Daniel Careaga answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Discourage: Losing weight through diet and exercise first. Liposuction of problem areas once they are at their ideal body weight.

Answered 9/10/2013

4.9k views

Dr. Jennifer Tighe De Soto answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Surgery

I wouldn't recommend: Teenagers' bodies are changing rapidly. Many teens have issues with self image and self esteem and are looking for perfection, which cannot be attained. Most teens have great skin quality, which makes them good candidates for general weight loss or noninvasive treatments.

Answered 11/1/2014

3.6k views

Dr. Edwin Ishoo answered

Specializes in

Liposuction: Any procedure being done on a minor must be consented by the parents or guardians. The parents and the patient will need to make that decision along with the doctor.

Answered 12/1/2014

3.5k views