A 48-year-old member asked:
Is it possible to overdose on vitamin a and what would happen?
1 doctor answer • 3 doctors weighed in
Holistic Medicine 41 years experience
Yes but uncommon: It is possible to overdose on vitamin a but this generally involves extremely large doses for prolonged periods. While some may become toxic from taking 50, 000 units/day x 18 mos., others have ingested 1, 000, 000 units/day x 5 years without problems. Toxicity symptoms include fatigue, headaches, hair loss, muscle/joint pain, nausea, vomiting, dry itchy skin, weight loss & liver damage. See comment:.
5.5k viewsReviewed >2 years ago
Last updated Mar 18, 2019
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.