AZ

I have a 1cm kidney stone and am scheduled for eswl surgery should i also have a stent the dr is leaving the decision up to me ?

Dr. Darren Mack
Urology 13 years experience
Get the stent: Stents prevent small fragments of stone from temporarily blocking your ureter. The stent may cause some temporary urinary urgency and mild discomfort, but overall my opinion is that they do more good than harm for a stone this size.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Brian Golden
Urology 22 years experience
Doc deced after ESWL: The decision to place a stent after eswl of a 1cm stone is best made after the stone fragmenting procedure. If the stone fragments well and there are no fragments larger than 2-3mm, then a stent is not likely necessary. If the stone does not change much, or just cracks in half, then a stent is a good idea, both to prevent obstructive pain and to prepare for ureteroscopy to remove the stone.
Dr. James Lin
Urology 52 years experience
That is correct...: You may get by without stent for treating a 1-cm kidney stone with eswl, but always prepare and commit yourself for possible intervention to stent ureter or remove fragments piling up in distal ureter with possible pending infection above the stone-relate blockage. So, doc is fair and right for you.
Dr. Craig Hanson
Radiology 44 years experience
Probably not.: Prophylactic placement of a ureteral stent prior to eswl is somewhat controversial depending on the situation. Stents themselves may cause significant pain and other problems. If there is no obstruction, infection or other complicating factor, then placement of a stent before eswl is usually not necessary for stones less than 2 cm. Also, a stent can always be placed after the eswl if needed.
Dr. James Lin
Urology 52 years experience
Last updated Nov 9, 2015