if a tooth filling came out what do we do?

Dr. Earl Sandroff
Dentistry 43 years experience
Put one back in.: If you lost a filling in a tooth then go to the dentist and have it replaced. It could be a matter of a simple replacement or if there is more problems with the tooth...It could need a bigger filling, or a crown or more. Sometimes fillings just fall out or break and fall out and sometimes something is wrong with the tooth that caused the filling to fall out. Good luck.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Refill, Crown or....: Fillings usually don't just come out unless something is wrong. More often than not it is due to recurrent decay under or around the filling. Sometimes it's just from wear and tear over time or enough pressure on the filling causing it to break. Occasionally the surrounding tooth breaks and then the filling falls out. Your dentist can determine if it can be refilled or a crown is necessary.
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Cosmetic Dentistry 25 years experience
New filling: Get a new filling! in the mean time, drug stores carry temporary filling material you can place in the hole to tide you over until your dental visit.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 41 years experience
Get it replaced: See the Dentist ASAP and get it replaced before you get more decay and possibly lose the tooth. Good Luck.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
See your dentist: for evaluation, x-ray and proper treatment. Best of luck!
Dr. Kevin Nail
Dr. Kevin Nail commented
Dentistry 11 years experience
Agreed....but for temporary relief of discomfort from temperature sensitivity, go to your local CVS, Walgreens, or Target and get some temporary filling material to place in the hole. Get to your dentist as soon as possible. This could be an easy fix if you do not delay treatment.
May 4, 2015