I have wisdom teeth under the gum causing pain can i be sedated to have them pulled?

6 doctors weighed in across 5 answers

Absolutely: Sedation is a great way to have wisdom teeth removed. You essentially fall asleep with IV sedation and you wake up and everything is done! you will not remember anything during the extractions.

Answered 6/10/2014

5.5k views

Dr. Mark Venincasa answered

Specializes in Dentistry - Cosmetic

Yes: I would have them evaluated by your general dentist. They may need an updated special x-ray called a panoramic x-ray. This will allow more complete visualization of where these wisdom teeth are located and of how they are oriented.

Answered 11/13/2012

5.5k views

Yes: Iv sedation is a wonderful and safe way to have your surgery performed. Of course this is assuming you don't have any medical problems that would contraindicate it.

Answered 11/18/2012

5.5k views

Yes, if: You certainly may, if you are in good health and have no contra-indications to such anesthesia. If these are not difficult impactions, and you are not very nervous, local anesthesia alone can be just fine. You will not feel pain, but will be aware of pressure and noise. Iv sedation has more risk, it is almost never a problem, but statistically more can go wrong.

Answered 2/13/2013

5.3k views

More than likely: Call the oral surgeon who will be removing them and ask their opinion about options for sedation and anesthesia for your situation. Make sure you feel comfortable about being comfortable.

Answered 2/25/2013

5.3k views