is normal for a doctor to perscribe oxycotin for fibermelnelga my family physician gave me eifht twenty mg per day and six endocet per day plus two two mg ativan (lorazepam)?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Michael Gofeld
31 years experience Pain Management
No: Opioids are not considered as effective drugs for fibromyalgia. Moreover there is more chance to develop addiction problem with underlying fibromyalgia.
Answered on Jul 26, 2013
3
Dr. Elizabeth Howell
40 years experience Psychiatry
No: Opioids are not the treatment of choice for fibromyalgia. Plus the combination you were given could increase the risk of accidental overdose and death. Benzodiazepines (ativan (lorazepam) and others) plus oxycodone (which is in Oxycontin and endocet) have additive effects that might cause slowed breathing and possible death.
Answered on Jun 30, 2014
3