hi! my wife has this hard lump at the back of her neck. it used to be where she had boils. when it got cured a small lump was left. it hurts sometimes?

Dr. Barry Rosen
33 years experience General Surgery
Sounds like a...: ...Sebaceous (inclusion) cyst. These arise from blocked oil glands next to hair follicles and are prone to infection. I advise you to make an appointment with her primary care doctor. They can confirm the diagnosis and remove it (or refer her to someone who can).
Answered on Dec 9, 2013
1
1
Dr. Aruna Adaikkalam
Sometimes,especially in diabetics there is a condition called carbuncle ,common over nape of neck , starting as a hardened area and later liquifying with multiple openings draining pus . Though recurrent boils can lead to scarring and hard lump/sebacious cyst formation,skin abscess formation carbuncle possibility needs to be kept in mind .
Nov 12, 2012