I had my dry socket packed on friday and i have a horrible taste in my mouth. i still have five days to go before i see thedoctor. is the bad taste normal?

4 doctors weighed in across 4 answers

An infection: If you had a dry socket then you had an infection. If the socket was packed with medication then you could be on your way back to health. If you are taking medications continue taking them until you see your doctor again.

Answered 7/13/2017

5.5k views

It depends on what : The medicament used was; also the level of infection. Consult with your dentist or oral surgeon. No harm sucking some mints to help with the taste -- avoid gum or sticky candies. Also okay to use breath spray.

Answered 9/28/2016

5.5k views

Yes, that's normal.: The horrible taste is the medicine that was placed in the socket. It's not uncommon to have to re-pack it two or three times. It's ok to rinse your mouth, but don't try to vigorously wash the medicine out of the socket. By the way, if the taste is bothering you more than the pain, then you are getting better! hang in there! dr. Smith.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Ronald Cohen answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Yes: Dry socket paste does not have a pleasant taste and you will taste if for a few days, that is completely normal. The most important thing is that it works and does what it needs to do.

Answered 12/19/2012

5.4k views