should a heart murmur cause concern in pregnancy?

Dr. Chukwuma Onyeije
Specializes in Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Yes: In many normal pregnancies a heart murmur can develop as a result of the increase in blood volume that occurs during pregnancy. The vast majority of heart murmurs are harmless but in rare cases, they may suggest a problem with the mother’s heart valves. A physician can evaluate your condition and determine the cause of a murmur and whether it is something that needs further treatment or concern.
Dr. William Scott
Pediatric Cardiology 39 years experience
Not necessarily: The heart must pump extra blood to support the growing fetus, particularly later in the pregnancy. The increased blood flow through the heart can cause heart murmurs even in the absence of heart disease. A murmur can also be due to increased blood flow to the breasts in preparation for nursing. A thorough exam should be performed to exclude more concerning causes.