Las Vegas, NV

my great grandparents both had breast cancer, their daughter died from it and their son died from pancreatic cancer. does this increase my risk of can?

Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery 23 years experience
Genetic counseling: It is possible your risk could be increased. I recommend you find a cancer center in your area and find a high risk program. They can get you hooked up with a gentic counselor who can do a detailed evaluation of you and your family and determine what additional genetic tests are needed and your true risk for cancer.
Pathology 49 years experience
Unfortunately, yes: History of cancer in one's family is one of the risk factors for the disease. Please see this site for additional information. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/genetics/risk-assessment-and-counseling/healthprofessional/page1.
Dr. Debashish Bose
General Surgery 19 years experience
Yes: You have a strong family history and may carry a mutation that will increase your personal risk of cancer and any children you have or may have in the future. Go to a reputable cancer center that has a genetic counselor and they can help sort it out and make screening recommendations. Pancreatic and breast cancers can be found in families with brca 1 and 2 mutations, among other cancer syndromes.

Last updated Dec 9, 2013