how does laser therapy help with dental problems?

Dr. James Wright
Dentistry 33 years experience
So many ways...: Laser can be effectively used for; periodontal disease (gum disease), herpetic lesions and ulcerations (cold sores), gingival augmentations (altering a gummy smile), frenulectomy (lip attachment), or more severe attachment such ankylosed tongue, (tongue tied), whitening teeth, removing cavities.
Dr. Alexandra Jaquery
Cosmetic Dentistry 14 years experience
Laser cuts soft tissue without the bleeding because it produces cell ablasion. Its an effective bacterial killer, being used in root canal treatment as well as in periodontal disease. In hard tissue like teeth its light can help in teeth bleaching.
Nov 8, 2012
Dr. Don Millner
Dr. Don Millner commented
Cosmetic Dentistry 43 years experience
I agree to all of the above but tooth whitening. While many practitioners still use lights or lasers to "highlight" the whitening process most studies show it is the strength/activity of the bleaching agent (peroxide) that is responsible for the lightening effect.
Nov 24, 2013
Dr. Harvey Shiffman
Cosmetic Dentistry 37 years experience
Many ways: Laser therapy makes fillings virtually painless, no injections. Laser root canal "pips" allows for better 3 dimensional cleaning of the root canals and bacteria reduction. Laser periodontal treatment reduces pain, bleeding and swelling compared to traditional "gum" surgeries. Cold laser for TMJ and facial pain helps reduce pain, swelling and speed healing. The absence of the typical drill noise.
Dr. Eric Linden
Specializes in Periodontics
LANAP: If a patient has gum disease, then they might be a candidate for laser gum surgery, also known as lanap. This laser therapy has regenerative qualities to enhance bone regeneration and stabilize the disease process with quick healing and is a less invasive approach to treating the disease.