Elkhorn, NE

Will bacitracin help nasal polyps?

Dr. Farhad Sigari
Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery 21 years experience
No: Bacitracin is an antibiotic. Nasal polyps are a manifestation of allergic disease not a result of infection. I would recommend you seek treatment with an ENT or an allergist for the proper treatment.
Dr. Nick Debnath
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 21 years experience
No: In fact, Bacitracin has been known to cause a foreign body complication in the nose and ear: myospherulosis. I do not recommend it for my patients inside the nose.
Dr. Robert Stachler
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 32 years experience
I usually have no problem with using bacitracin in the nose I use it for moisturing the nose. It will never get rid of polyps but will help the crusting down. You can also use a water based ointment like Ayr nasal saline gel. Anti Inflammatory medications are the only useful medications for polyps.
Sep 8, 2013
Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 61 years experience
Unlikely: A nasal polyp is an inflammatory growth. A;though S. aureus may be a potential cause. it is unlikely to eradicate the polyp once it is formed.
Dr. Gregory Cowan
14 years experience
Probably not: Usual medical treatment for nasal polyps is intranasal steroids or oral steroids. Surgery is an option, but polyps tend to recur.