is there a way to relieve pain from venous ulcers?

Dr. Vasu Brown
Integrative Medicine 34 years experience
Black walnut oil: For inflammatory ulcers - home remedy with black walnut oil extract we had good results.
Dr. Craig Schwartz
Phlebology 34 years experience
Yes: Pain from a venous ulcer is generally due to the open wound itself, or from the underlying venous insufficiency which caused it. Adequate wound care via debridement, topical wound dressings and compression will help with the healing of the ulcer, thereby improving the symptoms. More importantly would be treatment of the underlying cause. An ultrasound is mandatory to identify if reflux is present.
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care 35 years experience
Pain with veins: There are many types of pain syndromes related to venous disease that require different approaches. You should see a clinician to review the findings and make suggestions: for example, the pain from leg swelling requires a different approach than the pain from an ulceration.
Dr. Benjamin Lerner
Vascular Surgery 19 years experience
Yes: But remember that pain from venous ulcers is not typical, and you want to evaluate other reasons you could be having pain. That being said, wound closure of the ulcer will help the discomfort quite a bit.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
I have found : Topical oxygen therapy or hyperbaric oxygen to work the best for this.You will need to discuss with your doctor if thisis covered by insurance.
Dr. Ted King
Venous ulcer pain: A number of things contribute to venous ulcer pain, as drs. Schwartz and lerner said. Venous ulcers often don't hurt much but if they are infected or have become complicated in some other way, have a lot of swelling, or aren't entirely venous in origin, they can hurt more. Generally compression, leg elevation as needed, and treatment of the underlying vein disease will take care of the pain.
Dr. Michael Miller
Wound care 36 years experience
Treat the disease: The use of hyperbaric oxygen is not indicated in treating venous ulcers and is an expensive and inconvenient way to even consider. Treating the underlying cause using multilayer compression wraps and adequate pain control with non-nsaids (no Motrin or advil) are the best treatment that are cost effective and diagnoses appropriate.
Dr. Douglas Joyce
Phlebology 40 years experience
Treat venous disease: Often an over the counter cream with an anesthetic can help but the condition remains until the venous disease is treated. See a specialist in venous disease.
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Vascular Surgery 42 years experience
Pain: Venous ulcers are often caused by venous reflux,and once diagnosed should be treated Pain is due to sensory nerve exposure and also skin contracture Use of a compression bandage will prevent swelling and pooling