what if i am concerned my hives are caused by an antihistamine in the first place? i.e. zyrtec and allegra (fexofenadine)

3 doctor answers
Dr. Brian Novick
43 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Very rare : Hives usually come and go randomly. So you may confuse an outbreak with being caused by something else (though not really). So best to see an allergist.
Answered on May 6, 2019
Dr. Stevan Cordas
Hives: That is rare. Especially if suspect it from claritin, (loratadine) allergra, benadry, and zyrtec. Sometimes you have to realize that we can't find a cause but there is a long list of causes.
Answered on Nov 4, 2012
Dr. Marianna Post
Go to allergy dr: Go to an allergy doctor and get tested. Usually if you take antihistamine and break out more you might suspect a reaction to antihistamine, but you won't know for sure unless it happens every time you take it, or you get an allergy testing.
Answered on Nov 4, 2012
1
Dr. Steven Machtinger
44 years experience Allergy and Immunology
As an allergy doctor I suggest that you stop the medication first. Wait a few days to see if hives go away 5 days is enough.
Nov 4, 2012