Los Angeles, CA

Some restaurants are serving sweet potato fries instead of regular french fries. how do their nutritional values compare?

Dr. Karen Shackelford
Emergency Medicine 27 years experience
Processed food - meh: Doubtful if fresh cut. Processed food is all about additives and salt. Both potatoes and sweets have nutrients. Balanced diet is key. Don't make a habit of all brown meals.
Dr. Michael Moran
Cardiology 25 years experience
Glycemic Index: White potatoes typically have a G.I. Of 85/100. Sweet potatoes have a G.I. Of 37/100. The G.I. Tells you how simple or complex the carbohydrate is, that is how quickly it turns into sugar in your body. A G.I. Of 55/100 or less is generally desirable. This is particularly important if you are Insulin resistant or diabetic. High G.I. Foods make you put on fat, usually around the midline gut.