Dental caries untreated cause what complications? teen wont go for exam!

9 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Robert Rawdin answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

PAIN mostly: Untreated caries will progress. Left unchecked the caries will hit the nerve of the tooth.........Next stop root canal. If the caries goes deep under the gum line the tooth may not be restorable.....Next stop extraction. So, the bottom line is get regular exams and have any caries treated. Litlle cavities grow up to be big cavities!

Answered 11/27/2017

5.5k views

Dr. Wayne ORoark answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Tooth loss: Untreated dental caries will always lead to loss of teeth. The caries will not cure itself, see a dentist at your earlist time. Untreated caries will lead to irreversible tooth nerve damage, which will lead to the need for endodontic therapy and/or removal of the tooth.

Answered 6/6/2013

5.5k views

Dr. James Wright answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Try This... : I agree with all the other doctors answers not treating is a painful choice! try this ... The question my assistants ask patients... If you were given a rolls royce for free, would you be willing to take great care of it. Wash it --- wax it --- change the oil 2 times per year & keep it in great shape? She then explains that genuine teeth are that valuable & we only get one gift of adult teeth.

Answered 6/6/2013

5.5k views

Dr. Alan Krause answered

Specializes in

Pain root canals: Untreated dental caries keeps progressing until the caries reach the dental pulp. Then you will have a toothache with pulpitis which is irreversible. Now a root canal and further restorative dentistry will be needed.

Answered 5/4/2015

5.3k views

Dr. Sam Shahoveisi answered

Specializes in dentistry

Pain, Loss of teeth: Keep trying to encourage him to go because the consequences will be hard for him. He will have pain in his teeth soon, he/she may loose hi/her s teeth and these are all permanent teeth that he will not get back since he/she is a teen, and further general health problems may arise.

Answered 4/9/2013

5.2k views