U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

What to do to increase hdl and decrease ldl.my husbands ldl is 177and hdl is 42 and also sgot is 64 u/l and sgpt is 133u/l.(30yrs old and wt 94 kg) ?

3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 50 years experience
Diet exercise and : Medication. Your husband should lose weight to bring his bmi to about 22 or so, engaage in increasingly vigorous physical activity at least 150 minutes/week, no alcohol, no tobacco; diet rich in fresh vegetables and fruits and whole grains; reduce intake of saturated fats. After putting this in practive for six months check blood again and consult doctor for possible use of medication.
Dr. Rick Koch
Cardiology 23 years experience
Exercise &: Weight loss are the best ways to lower LDL & increase hdl.
Dr. Michael Shapiro
Cardiology 23 years experience
The first place to start in a young person is with lifestyle modifications, including regular cardiovascular exercise, changes in diet, and weight management. The SGOT/SGPT elevation may be due to fat deposition in the liver and may lead to insulin resistance and/or diabetes. After 3-6 months of lifestyle modifications, it would be a good idea to check all of these labs again. If the LDL remains that high, medication may be necessary.
Feb 5, 2013
Dr. William Cromwell
Clinical Lipidology 35 years experience
Find and Fix Causes: The first step is to determine if the LDL is elevated due to an acquired medical condition. If treatable conditions are identified i would manage those and start diet, exercise and lifestyle modifications. Soluble fiber and plant stanols can be used to lower ldl. If medications are needed options include statins, agents to decrease gut cholesterol absorption (ezetimibe, colesevelam) and niacin.
Last updated Dec 9, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.