define mild sleep apnea?

Dr. Brijesh Chandwani
Pain Management 11 years experience
Gasping for air: Sleep apnea is defined as complete (apnea) or partial obstruction (hypopnia) of the airway during sleep. Typical signs and symptoms are snoring, wake up gasping for air, and excessive daytime sleepiness. Diagnosis is made by a sleep study (polysomnogram) and the main parameter of diagnosis is ahi (apnea-hypopnea index). Mild sleep apnea ranges from 5-10 ahi.
Dr. Steven Bender
Dentistry 35 years experience
Just to clarify The AHI is the number oof apneas and hypopneas per hour of sleep. Mild is 5-15, moderate is 16-30, and severe is above 30 per hour.
Oct 31, 2012
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dentistry 40 years experience
Time reduced oxygen: Apnea refers to the lack of breathing during sleep. This causes a reduction of oxygen in the blood. Mild apnea shows a lesser reduction in oxygen for a shorter time period than moderate or severe apnea. The greater the oxygen reduction over extended time periods, the greater the risks associated its apnea.
Dr. Ravi Chand
Sleep: If you apnea hyponea index is between 5 and 15 it is mild sleep apnea 15 to 30 is moderate > 30 is severe.
Dr. Bashar Brijawi
5-14.9 times an hour: stop breathing between 5 to 14.9 times an hours is mild a sleep apnea, the stopped or decreased breathing ( hypopnea) should be at least for 10 seconds . However, the mild sleep apnea does not mean the Patient has only mild symptoms, some Patients with mild OSA have severe daytime sleepiness and snoring.