Libya

my mother had 5 years ago of breast cancer, but now good health , but this time the doctor found that the analysis of (cea) has increased by 13.6 why?

Dr. Christian Schultheis
Hematology and Oncology 24 years experience
That's a problem: That is why markers are not the greatest. Now she is going to need to get scans. Cea is better for colon cancer but can be elevated in other cancers. However, tumor markers should not be used in early stage breast cancer.
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology 47 years experience
The CEA should not: Have been ordered unless it was measured at the outset and was high at diagnosis. This exemplifies the use of an unproven test that will lead to expensive probing that may or may not find something work knowing, meaning needing treatment that results in benefit.
Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Medical Oncology 35 years experience
Can't say: I wonder why it was ordered to begin with. Was it routine or was she having some symptoms? The problem with markers is that once found high (and confirmed high), we are almost obligated to work it up with additional tests. Best wishes to both, hope it is nothing serious.