U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old member asked:

What are the long term effects of having spondylolisthesis?

2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery 41 years experience
Depends: Most people with spondylolisthesis lead normal lives. A minority may consider surgery.
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine 53 years experience
A lot depends on degree of slippage. The greater grade of slip, more forward the vertebra, can result in pain also related to compression of nerves. These slips usually require surgery, spinal fusion etc.
Jan 11, 2015
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 41 years experience
Usually none other: Than some back pain but occasionally leading to spinal stenosis or a disc herniation with 10% needing surgery-this is for the congenital or isthmic type. The degenerative or acquired type typically seen in postmenapausal females can lead to back pain & spinal stenosis with 30% needing surgery.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 45-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 35-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Dec 5, 2018

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.