are biopsies painful?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery 49 years experience
It depend: Most of them are not very painful; doctor usually injects medication to numb the area.

Ive been told a biopsy can be painful. Is this true?

Dr. Joshua Davidson
Allergy and Immunology 18 years experience
Possibly: It really depends on the nature of the biopsy, and there are multiple different types. On one end of the spectrum are shave biopsies, for example, where a small blade will shave off a piece of skin or a concerning lesion. On the other hand, there are bone marrow biopsies, where are large needle is placed into the hip bone (typically) to remove bone marrow. This type can be quite painful.

Is pain common after a tkr?

Dr. Rhett Griggs
Hand Surgery 19 years experience
Yes: Pain immediately after is painful however long term pain is not unless something is going on.

What's the gate control theory for pain?

Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
Duh!!!: You don't need to know because it will not help you care for yourself. Only if you are writing a research paper. For chronic pain begin a self-care with a wellness program of vits, magnesium glycinate, sleep hygiene, exercise, self massage, chiropractor, yoga, heat, epsom tub soaking, stretching all are needed. In my practice I use acupuncture and myofascial tissue release.
Methuen, MA

I believe I have a large single milia (about 1/2" relativey flat) in the center of my cheat. I have been able to "empty" it once but it is painful. What is involved in removing it?

Dr. Ellen Turner
Dermatology 20 years experience
Easy.: See your dermatologist and he/she can numb it, and shave it off--no problem.

I am having a clerical biopsy in a few weeks. I need to know is this painful?

Dr. Marina Landa
Pathology 32 years experience
Not painful: If you asking about clinical biopsy, you should have local anesthesia before procedure and it should be not painful.